The Warm Up Game can be used to literally warm up the class and is ideal for teaching new vocabulary, especially to younger students. An added bonus is that it gets the children going first thing in the morning and wears them out a little!
How to Play
It’s a simple game and perfect for a few minutes at the start of each class. The game is based on TPR or Total Physical Response in that the students are learning English whilst engaged in another activity.
The first time you play, start with a few simple commands given to the class which they must obey:
Once the students are happy with these commands (maybe after a couple of lessons) move on with these:
Boys stand up!
Of course you need to add a few “mistakes” to catch students out:
No one sleep!
Girls stand up! [when the girls are already standing up]
Again, as the students become used to the commands then expand them:
Boys go dancing!
Girls put on make-up!
Everyone bake a cake!
There are variations on this, of course. Here are a few ideas:
- Have a set of commands printed on laminated paper, one student at a time picks a command and shouts it to the rest of the class.
- Or the student has to perform that command and the rest of the class has to say what it is.
- Students make up their own commands to add to the list.
- Get the commands to be famous people: Everyone is James Bond! (Again, this can be quite good if the class has to guess who the student is being!)
TPR – Total Physical Response in English Language Teaching– a look at this teaching method and the basic technique.
Did you know that if you subscribe to our website, you will receive email notifications whenever content changes or new content is added.
1. Enter your e-mail address below and click the Sign Me Up button.
2. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your intention of subscribing to our site.
3. Click the link in the email to confirm. That’s all there is to it!
Then indicate you no longer wish to receive our emails.
IWeb TEFL Team