Quite simply, a TEFL Lesson is a set period of time where you – as a TEFL teacher – work with your class in learning English.
It is part of the hierarchy of learning English where the yearly syllabus is divided into short periods:
English > Syllabus > Lesson > Activity
TEFL Lesson Length
The length of a typical TEFL Lesson is usually either 60 minutes or perhaps 90 minutes; this is usually set by the school but if you are doing private TEFL lessons and can set the length of the lesson yourself then often 90 minutes is the best option.
It is often difficult for students to concentrate for periods longer than this so if you are required to teach for, say, 120 minutes, it’s well worth either allowing for a 5 minute break in the middle of perhaps including a simple, fun, different, type of activity in the middle to refresh the class and serve as a short break.
TEFL Lesson Content
As per the hierarchy above, there will usually a syllabus for the year (or term) set by the school. This is divided into lessons and you may well have 2 or 3 lessons per week with a particular group (or many more with more intensive courses).
Although there are no hard and fast rules, a typical lesson should have a lesson target. This is the focus of the lesson and all activities and exercise in the lesson head towards this. A lesson would typically be divided into:
- An introduction: where the lesson target is introduced.
- A few activities where the lesson target is practiced.
- A closing activity where the lesson is summarized.
Often lessons end on a lighter note with perhaps a 5 minute ‘fun’ activity for the class.
Of course the content of the lesson will have been prepared beforehand by the teacher!
Did you know that if you subscribe to our website, you will receive email notifications whenever content changes or new content is added.
1. Enter your e-mail address below and click the Sign Me Up button.
2. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your intention of subscribing to our site.
3. Click the link in the email to confirm. That’s all there is to it! [jetpack_subscription_form title="" subscribe_text="Enter your email address below to subscribe to IWeb TEFL." subscribe_button="Sign Me Up"] Note: if you wish to unsubscribe from our site, click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email you received.
Then indicate you no longer wish to receive our emails.
IWeb TEFL Team