Study Skills are those skills useful for students at university, college, and suchlike to increase their ability to study and pass exams.
They range from organizing and retaining information to understanding assessments; from effective reading to concentration techniques; from examination taking techniques to time management.
With EFL/ESL students who want to go and study abroad this needs to be taken a step further as they will need to know enough English not only to do well in class, but also outside it.
Some of the tasks related to their studies which they will need to be able to carry out may include:
- asking about homework
- understanding assignments
- reading a syllabus
- efficient note taking
- attending students meetings
- making a presentation
Planning for an EAP lesson
Study Skills are often included in EAP curricula. So when planning for such lessons, think about what your students will need to do on a daily basis in English and plan for that.
Above all get them used to using English as a tool to get things done instead of having them study it as an abstract subject, like Latin or Philosophy.
EAP – English for Academic Purposes
Did you know that if you subscribe to our website, you will receive email notifications whenever content changes or new content is added.
1. Enter your e-mail address below and click the Sign Me Up button.
2. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your intention of subscribing to our site.
3. Click the link in the email to confirm. That’s all there is to it! [jetpack_subscription_form title="" subscribe_text="Enter your email address below to subscribe to IWeb TEFL." subscribe_button="Sign Me Up"] Note: if you wish to unsubscribe from our site, click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email you received.
Then indicate you no longer wish to receive our emails.
IWeb TEFL Team