Modifiers are pretty straightforward when you come to think of it.
Essentially a modifier does just that: it modifies or changes or qualifies another word or phrase or clause.
Suppose you have a noun:
You can then modify it:
Harley Davidson motorcycle
So when we use the word modify we mean change in some way which includes qualifying it.
Types of Modifiers
In English, there are two kinds of modifiers.
- adjectives (modifying nouns and pronouns)
- adverbs (modifying verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs)
Adjectives in English Grammar – more on adjectives
Adverbs in English Grammar – more on adverbs
Did you know that if you subscribe to our website, you will receive email notifications whenever content changes or new content is added.
1. Enter your e-mail address below and click the Sign Me Up button.
2. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your intention of subscribing to our site.
3. Click the link in the email to confirm. That’s all there is to it!
Then indicate you no longer wish to receive our emails.
IWeb TEFL Team