Masters Degrees for Teachers of English

The usual qualifications‏‎ for newcomers to TEFL‏‎ are a BA degree and a TEFL certificate such as the IWeb TEFL Certificate.

However, after a few years experience, some teachers will want to go for further study.

The two main options here are a TEFL Diploma or a Masters Degree (or MA).

The MA is considered a higher qualification than a Diploma and is often a requirement for university or college level jobs teaching English. It is normally a residential course at a university. As well as various modules there is often a 10,000+ word dissertation on a relevant chosen topic. Courses are typically 12 months full time or 24 months part time.

These courses are often highly specialized, for example:

  • MA in Language Learning & Technology
  • MA in ELT Management
  • MA in Applied Linguistics

Entry qualifications vary, but a typical MA course will want to see a good BA degree in a relevant subject plus 2 years or more experience teaching. Of course there is also a need for a high level of English and for non-native speakers this will mean something like a 6.5 IELTS‏‎ score or 580 TOEFL‏‎ score.

Useful Links

TEFL Diplomas – the alternative to an MA

Essential Qualifications to Teach English – an overview of qualifications to teach English

Did you know that if you subscribe to our website, you will receive email notifications whenever content changes or new content is added.
1. Enter your e-mail address below and click the Sign Me Up button.
2. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your intention of subscribing to our site.
3. Click the link in the email to confirm. That’s all there is to it!

Enter your email address below to subscribe to IWeb TEFL.

Note: if you wish to unsubscribe from our site, click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email you received.
Then indicate you no longer wish to receive our emails.

Thank You
IWeb TEFL Team

Posted in Finding TEFL Jobs, Qualifications For TEFL Teachers.

Leave a Reply