Instagram is a popular social media network for sharing photos, commonly accessed through a mobile app. Unlike other social networks, however, it does not have a desktop version.
This poses a problem for a lot of users who want to access features from their desktop computer. For example, let’s say you’re a social media manager for a prominent brand. The last thing you want to do is have an absentminded mishap where you accidentally post brand content to your personal Instagram account (or, worse, vice versa) simply because you’re logged into both on your phone.
Alternatively, it might be easier to upload company posts and videos via your desktop, rather than having your smartphone open at work.
Plus, your company’s files might be more easily accessible via desktop than mobile. For instance, if you use Photoshop to edit company photos, it’s likely easier to click “Upload” from your desktop when you’re done editing, rather than sending that same photo or video to your personal phone.
Perhaps you simply prefer the larger screen of desktop. Or, maybe you don’t have access to a smartphone so you can’t download the app on your phone.
For all of these reasons, you might be wondering, “Can I post to Instagram from my computer?” We have some good news — there’s a solution for you. Let’s dive into that, next.
How to Upload Photos from a Computer to Instagram Using the Safari Browser
- Navigate to Instagram’s website in your Safari browser.
- Click “Safari” and then select “Preferences” in the menu bar.
- Click “Advanced” and check the box that reads “Show Develop menu in menu bar”.
- Click “Develop” in your menu bar and then scroll to “User Agent”.
- Choose which mobile device you’d like from the drop-down menu.
- Refresh the page to see the mobile interface of Instagram from your browser.
- Upload an Instagram post the same way you would via mobile.
1. Navigate to Instagram’s website in your Safari browser.
The first thing you’ll want to do is open up Safari and navigate to https://www.instagram.com/ by typing it into the navigation bar.
2. Click “Safari” and then select “Preferences” in the menu bar.
Up in the top menu, click Safari. This is where you’ll find your browser’s “Preferences” settings in the drop-down menu.
3. Click “Advanced” and check the box that reads “Show develop menu in menu bar”.
Under “Advanced,” you’ll have the options to show the Develop menu in the menu bar. By checking this box, you’ll get access to a menu that will give you advanced control over how your browser displays content. This will help you post to Instagram from desktop using Safari.
4. Click “Develop” in your menu bar and then scroll to “User Agent”.
Once you click out of the previous screen and return to Safari, you’ll see that new Develop option in the top menu bar. Clicking it will reveal the features that give you advanced control over your browser.
5. Choose which mobile device you’d like on the drop-down menu.
When you select User Agentfrom the Develop menu, you’ll see another drop-down menu with a list of mobile devices. Selecting one will tell the browser to emulate how a website looks on that particular device you selected.
Choose which mobile device you’d like on the drop-down menu.
6. Refresh the page to see the mobile interface of Instagram from your browser.
You should then be able to able to use Instagram straight from the emulation while retaining this “mobile view.”
7. Upload an Instagram post the same way you would via mobile.
Once you are able to view Instagram from your Safari browser, you can upload an Instagram post the same way you would via mobile — by clicking the “+” button, adding a filter or editing the photo, adding a location and caption, and clicking “Share” when you’re ready for your post to go live.
(The instructions for posting an image to Instagram are the same as they are for the Chrome browser instructions, listed here.)
Using Instagram Like the Pro You Are
Now that you don’t have to worry about transferring photos to your mobile device or juggling your work’s social media account on your own device, you’ll be able to grow on Instagram efficiently and effectively. From there, the sky is the limit for creating posts and growing your audience in a scalable way.
Don’t forget to share this post!