Backward Spelling is a simple filler activity you can play at the end of your class for a few minutes before the lesson ends.
It helps with concentrated listening, vocabulary and spelling.
Simply choose a word which the class will know and begin – slowly – to spell it backwards. Award a point to the first person who can guess the word correctly.
T: A… N…
T: Sorry, no! A… N… A… N… A…
T: Good! One point for your team!
Of course the word you choose should be one the class is familiar with and one recently used. This activity helps reinforce what has been learned earlier.
Variations on a Theme
Once the class is familiar with the game there are a few to expand and vary it.
- have students work in teams to guess the word
- whoever guesses comes to the front of the class to spell backwards their own word (or one from a flashcard)
- try throwing in a palindrome once in a while to see what happens!
Did you know that if you subscribe to our website, you will receive email notifications whenever content changes or new content is added.
1. Enter your e-mail address below and click the Sign Me Up button.
2. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your intention of subscribing to our site.
3. Click the link in the email to confirm. That’s all there is to it!
Then indicate you no longer wish to receive our emails.
IWeb TEFL Team